Similar to Linoleum Art, Woodgrain Art requires a shift in perception to see figures in something like a closet door or desk drawer.
Here is an old desk drawer and what I see in it. I used the Pen tool in Illustrator to draw the shape and then copied and pasted it as a Vector Smart Object into Photoshop for more effect options.
Further, I elaborated more on the image by giving it a face and then creating a female version…and so on.
- Find a piece of wood anywhere…desk, closet, cupboard, flooring, tree, driftwood.
- Get into a relaxed state in a quiet corner or room.
- Explore the area and notice what shapes and/or images stand out for you by allowing your eyes to go out of focus and letting your mind be drawn into it.
- Take a photo of the area or trace the outline through paper directly on the surface and scan it into the computer.
- Open it in your favourite image editing software and use the Pen tool to draw the shape and/or add more detail and effects.